- The Fireball and the Explosion
Former PNSN manager Paul Bodin follows up on a strange coincidence: an explosion on Orca Island preceding a fireball over the Cascades.
- 87 days ago 7 Apr 22, 3:26pm -
- Mystery Booms and Forensic Seismology
Strange night time booms heard in the San Juan Islands are investigated using seismology
- 15 Mar 22, 6:00pm -
- The MyShake app is now delivering ShakeAlert-powered alerts in Washington
Good news for people who have been waiting for a ShakeAlert app to come to their smartphones: As of today, the 322nd anniversary of the last Cascadia Big One, the MyShake app is now available in Washington state.
- 26 Jan 22, 9:43am -
- What can the recent Kentucky tornado disaster teach us about earthquake early warning?
The recent tornado disaster in the Midwest was preceded by copious warnings, giving time for protective actions, yet the destruction and suffering caused was huge. What does that imply for earthquake early warning systems?
- 17 Dec 21, 5:15pm -
- Blanco Fracture Zone swarm: Active, unusual, interesting... but not concerning
On Tuesday morning about 300 miles off the coast of Oregon, an intense swarm of moderate sized earthquakes began on the Blanco Fracture Zone. This is active, unusual, and interesting, but not concerning. We take a deep dive in this blog post.
- 10 Dec 21, 12:53am -
- How the PNSN is preparing for the next big earthquake
Network Manager Emeritus Paul Bodin explains why and how PNSN is preparing to respond to the next earthquake before it happens.
- 19 Nov 21, 11:29pm -
- Our Experience Maintaining a Seismic Station on Mt Olympus
Two PNSN field engineers share their experiences doing fieldwork on Mt. Olympus, and the significance of the OSD station.
- 8 Oct 21, 9:00am -
- Washington’s Unsafe Schools
A recent DNR report showed that many of Washington's schools are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes. Former State Representative Jim Buck argues that the state should be doing more to solve the problem.
- 20 Sep 21, 8:34pm -
- The CAscadia Seismic Imaging Experiment 2021 (CASIE21): All Aboard the R/V Marcus G. Langseth!
A recent 41-day research cruise will give us a better view of the Cascadia Subduction Zone.
- 31 Aug 21, 2:57pm -
- ShakeAlert Warning Times for earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest
If an earthquake were to occur tomorrow somewhere in Washington or Oregon, how much warning time would you expect to get from ShakeAlert?
- 28 Jul 21, 4:12pm -