- newBitcoin Mining Hardware Firm Canaan Sees 'Prolonged Headwinds' After Challenging Quarter
Supercomputing services provider Canaan (CAN) said Q2 revenue increased by 53% from the year-earlier quarter, but warned of the downward pressure on its performance from the tougher market conditions in the quarters ahead.
- 2 hours ago 18 Aug 22, 11:08am -
- newCash-Backed HUSD Stablecoin Loses Peg, Drops to $0.92
The token issued by Stable Universal has dropped to 8% below its $1 peg.
- 4 hours ago 18 Aug 22, 8:58am -
- newUS Extradites Alleged Crypto Money Launderer From Netherlands
Mihaqloviv Dubnikov, 29, a Russian citizen, made an initial appearance in a federal court in Portland, Oregon, Wednesday, and his five-day jury trial is scheduled to begin on Oct. 4. If convicted, Dubnikov faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in pris…
- 5 hours ago 18 Aug 22, 7:36am -
- newSolana’s Biggest DeFi Lender is Leaning Into 'Permissionless' Loan Markets
These “permissionless pools'' don't have any of the safeguards afforded to Solend’s whitelisted markets. That’s by design.
- 12 hours ago 18 Aug 22, 1:14am -
- newFirst Mover Asia: Celsius Token Price Rise Pegged to Market Dynamics Rather Than Fundamentals; BTC Retreats Again
The price of the troubled crypto lending platform's CEL has been rising, to observers' puzzlement.
- 12 hours ago 18 Aug 22, 1:11am -
- new'Don't Say Terra' and Other Reflections From Korea's Crypto Extravaganza
A series of conferences in Seoul explored the future of DeFi, but the $40 billion blowup of a major Korean crypto project was not on the agenda.
- 15 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 10:20pm -
- newTell Us What You Know About Crypto and Blockchain Education
For CoinDesk's Best Universities for Blockchain ranking in September, we are seeking opinions and recommendations from professionals, academics and students in the industry. Tell us what you think.
- 15 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 10:18pm -
- newOptimism Token Flash Crashes 10% on False Rumors of a Major Hack
The native token of Optimism quickly recovered after Optimism dispelled the rumors.
- 15 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 10:16pm -
- newMarket Wrap: Bitcoin, Ether Prices Slide for Fourth Consecutive Day
BTC prices continued to trade down but within a narrow trading range. Bitcoin (BTC) fell 2% on Tuesday, its fourth consecutive daily decline.The largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization has dropped 6% since crossing $25,000 briefly on Aug. 14.…
- 15 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 9:48pm -
- newEOS Network Foundation Members Switch Support to Crypto Protocol Antelope After Hard Fork
The protocol will be led by a coalition connected to the EOS Network Foundation, following the foundation’s separation from Block.one.
- 16 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 9:31pm -
- newUS Federal Reserve Minutes Show More Rate Hikes Coming, Concern About Stablecoin Risks
- 16 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 9:12pm -
- newCanadian Pension Giant Caisse Writes Off $150M Bet on Bankrupt Crypto Lender Celsius
Quebec-based Caisse said Wednesday it had acted "too soon" in entering the sector.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 8:11pm -
- newBitcoin, Ether Drop as Analysts Fear Fed Minutes Will Dash Hopes for 2023 Easing
Risk assets recently rallied in hopes that inflation has peaked and the Fed would cut interest rates next year. The central bank's tightening cycle roiled cryptocurrencies early this year.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 8:05pm -
- newCrypto Analysts Reject Latest DOGE, SHIB Rally as Contrarian Signal
Historically, meme token rallies have been accurate predictors of market tops, analogous to record-setting art auction prices in traditional markets. This time, it may be different.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 8:05pm -
- newEU Lawmakers Seek to Cap Banks’ Bitcoin Holdings
Lawmakers of the European Green Party want to anticipate international standards by legislating hefty capital norms for lenders now.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 8:04pm -
- newCoinbase Will Be ‘Meaningful’ Beneficiary of Ethereum Merge, JPMorgan Says
Coinbase's staking offering will drive revenue for the crypto exchange, the bank's equity analyst said.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 8:04pm -
- newToken Front-Running Was Common at Coinbase Crypto Exchange, a New Study Argues
Researchers at the University of Technology Sydney estimate that insider trading occurred on 10% to 25% of new crypto listings at Coinbase between September 2018 and May 2022, generating at least $1.5 million in profits for whomever was behind the tr…
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 7:50pm -
- newColombia explora la creación de una CBDC para combatir la evasión fiscal
Como parte de un programa de reforma impositiva, el gobierno del país sudamericano también planea imponer límites a las transacciones en efectivo.
- 17 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 7:43pm -
- newDogecoin Jumps as Dogechain Gains Traction Among Retail Crypto Traders
The Polygon-based Dogechain locks nearly $5 million in liquidity and is gaining prominence among retail crypto traders.
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 7:03pm -
- newColombia Explores Creating a CBDC to Combat Tax Evasion
As part of a tax reform program, the government of the South American country also plans to impose limits on cash transactions.
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:56pm -
- newCrypto Broker Genesis Cutting 20% of Workforce as CEO Michael Moro Exits
Michael Moro, the CEO of crypto broker Genesis has quit as the company cuts 20% of jobs.
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:55pm -
- newCrypto Investment Firm CoinFund Launches $300M Web3 Fund
Sectors of interest for the early-stage fund include layer 1 blockchains, gaming and NFTs.
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:55pm -
- newIn Crypto, Base Layer Security Isn’t Enough
Blockchains are only as secure as the applications they run.
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:40pm -
- newUkraine Bought Weapons, Drones With Crypto Donations
Mykhailo Fedorov, Ukraine’s Minister for Digital Transformation, tweeted the breakdown of its crypto expenditure on Tuesday, which revealed the government had used some of the $60 million worth of funds raised via crypto to purchase lethal weapons…
- 18 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:34pm -
- newCrypto Investing Giant Paradigm Leads $20M Round for Fractional NFT Protocol
Fractional, which allows for collective non-fungible token ownership, is rebranding as Tessera.
- 19 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 6:20pm -
- newWhy Bitcoin Traders Should Care About Double-Digit Inflation in UK
- 19 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 5:39pm -
- newDogecoin sube a medida que Dogechain gana tracción entre los traders minoristas cripto
Dogechain, basado en Polygon Edge, suma casi $5 millones en liquidez y está ganando prominencia entre los traders minoristas de criptomonedas.
- 20 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 5:30pm -
- newNFT Developer Yuga Labs Hires Social Token Expert as Senior Executive
- 20 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 4:59pm -
- newBankrupt Crypto Lender Celsius Gets Cash-Injection Offers, Approval to Sell Mined Bitcoin
- 20 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 4:43pm -
- newUS Regulator 'Improperly' Pushing Banks to Avoid Serving Crypto Companies, Lawmaker Says
U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey said whistleblowers had informed him that the FDIC was pressuring banks to stop providing services to crypto companies.
- 20 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 4:39pm -
- newBitcoin y ether caen mientras analistas temen un ajuste monetario de la Fed para 2023
Los activos de riesgo se recuperaron recientemente con la esperanza de que la inflación haya alcanzado su punto máximo y que la Fed reduzca las tasas de interés el próximo año, pero el endurecimiento monetario del banco central afectó a las cri…
- 21 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 4:01pm -
- newBitConnect Founder, Indicted in US Over Missing Bitcoin, Is Now Wanted in India, Too
An unidentified lawyer filed a complaint naming Kumbhani and six others saying he was defrauded of his original investment of 54 bitcoins and the returns of 166 bitcoins that he was made to reinvest into platforms between 2016 and 2021, according to…
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 3:12pm -
- newFirst Mover Americas: Bitcoin Lower as US Futures Slide; Ether Continues to Steal Crypto Market Share
The latest price moves in bitcoin (BTC) and crypto markets in context for August 17, 2022. First Mover is CoinDesk’s daily newsletter that contextualizes the latest actions in the crypto markets.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 3:11pm -
- newFormer Coinbase VP Adam White Joins Blackstone as Crypto Investment Adviser
White begins at Blackstone in a part-time role working across the firm’s investment teams and with its portfolio companies.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 3:10pm -
- newTornado Cash Fallout: Can Ethereum Be Censored?
In light of OFAC’s Tornado Cash sanctions, Ethereum's community debates what to do if validators censor sanctioned addresses.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 3:03pm -
- newBill Ackman Among Investors as Venture Capital Crypto Firm Shima Capital Raises $200M Fund
The Web3-focused fund, founded by a Wall Street veteran, is backed by crypto heavyweights Dragonfly and Animoca.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:48pm -
- newUK Crypto Industry Welcomes New Stablecoin Rules, Awaits Guidance
A proposed bill could give U.K. regulators new powers over payments-focused crypto assets like stablecoins, but details on how the rules might be interpreted by financial watchdogs are pending.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:43pm -
- newCrypto Lender Nexo Sues Former Director Over $7.9M Trading Loss: Report
Cryptocurrency lender Nexo is taking legal action against its former director, Georgi Shulev, on claims that he failed to keep his side of a settlement agreement.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:41pm -
- newWorld Bank Affiliate IFC Backs Blockchain-Based Platform for Carbon Offsets
International Finance Corp (IFC), a World Bank affiliate focused on investment in less-developed countries, is backing a blockchain-based platform for the trading of carbon offsets.
- 22 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:34pm -
- newUK Group to Test Stablecoin Payments, Provide Data to Bank of England
The Digital FMI Consortium will test cross-border payments and provide recommendations to the Bank of England using its own sterling-backed stablecoin.
- 23 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:22pm -
- newFirst Mover Asia: Crypto Can’t Shake the Correlation Narrative; BTC, ETH Sink but Meme Coins Rise
- 23 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:09pm -
- newKenya's Crypto Crowd Hopes President-Elect Will Be Better Than Predecessor
Kenya President-Elect William Ruto is "assumed" to be a better hope for the crypto community in Kenya than the losing candidate Raila Odinga, according to local crypto experts.
- 23 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:08pm -
- newBitcoin Miner Riot Takes $349M Goodwill Impairment Charge on Acquisitions
he company also posted an impairment charge of $99.8 million on its bitcoin holdings.
- 23 hours ago 17 Aug 22, 2:02pm -
- Crypto.com Exchange Registers With UK Financial Regulator
The crypto exchange has faced past heat over advertisements from the FCA.
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 9:34pm -
- SEC Files Complaint Against Dragonchain for Unregistered Initial Coin Offering
The complaint alleges blockchain startup Dragonchain failed to register more than $16 million in crypto asset securities.
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 9:03pm -
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin's Price Retraces Again, Breaks Below Trendline
Bitcoin declines for third consecutive day, on below average volume. Bitcoin (BTC) declined 1% on Tuesday, marking the second consecutive day of declines for the largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization. Ether’s (ETH) price fell 1.1%, revers…
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 8:38pm -
- ‘Down Infinite’: A Ham-Fisted Attempt to Rehabilitate Do Kwon’s Image
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 8:31pm -
- Citigroup Furthers Crypto Push With Two Digital-Asset Hires
Wall Street continues to hire for digital asset roles despite the lingering crypto bear market.
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 8:07pm -
- Congress Must Decide How Cryptos Should Be Regulated, Former CFTC Commissioner Says
Dawn Stump joined CoinDesk TV’s “First Mover” to discuss crypto regulation and why Congress may need to step in.
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 7:51pm -
- US Fed Reminds Banks to Check for Legal Permissibility Before Offering Crypto-Related Services
The Federal Reserve published an open letter Tuesday, signed by Director of Supervision and Regulation Michael Gibson and Director of Consumer and Community Affairs Eric Belsky, directing Fed-supervised banks to make sure they check that any crypto-r…
- 2 days ago 16 Aug 22, 7:27pm -