- newFirst Mover Asia: Bitcoin Settles Above $27.1K After Early Wednesday Dip as Rate Hike, Inflation Worries Heighten
ALSO: Large bitcoin holders reduced their holdings and sent assets to exchanges in the days leading up to the debt deal. What's next?
- 3 hours ago 1 Jun 23, 2:12am -
- newFirst Digital Unveils USD Stablecoin as Hong Kong Crypto Rules Kick In
The stablecoin is issued by a registered trust owned by First Digital.
- 4 hours ago 1 Jun 23, 2:00am -
- newBitcoin, Crypto Prices Brace for Downturn in Coming Liquidity Shock, Observers Say
Improving liquidity conditions so far this year has lifted risk assets such as cryptocurrencies, but the trend is poised to turn once the U.S. debt ceiling is lifted and the Treasury along with the Fed resumes tightening, analysts said.
- 6 hours ago 31 May 23, 11:45pm -
- newPixel Penguins, an NFT Charity Scam, Shows Dangers Of NFT Influencer Culture
Behind every PFP with thousands of followers on Twitter is a person. And in Web3, it’s not always best to trust one person’s word on whether or not to mint into an NFT collection.
- 8 hours ago 31 May 23, 10:03pm -
- newCoinDesk Apologizes to Alex Grebnev
On 25 May 2023 we published a story headed “Alameda-Backed ‘Samcoins’ CEO Alex Grebnev Sued by Coin Telegraph Owner Gregory Fishman.” Those individuals are engaged in a lawsuit (a claim and counterclaim) in the High Court in London relating t…
- 8 hours ago 31 May 23, 9:26pm -
- newJimbos Protocol to Work With U.S. Homeland Security to Help Recover $7.5M From Flash Loan Exploit
The team is opening more cases in other jurisdictions and offering a roughly $800,000 bounty to the general public for information on the exploiter.
- 9 hours ago 31 May 23, 8:55pm -
- newCovering the 2024 Presidential Election
It gives me no pleasure to report that less than six months into this Congressional term, the 2024 election season has become fully underway. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) officially declared his candidacy last week, though he appears to have bee…
- 9 hours ago 31 May 23, 8:30pm -
- newWelcome, Crypto, to the Fiery Cauldron of U.S. Presidential Politics
Whether the crypto industry wants the spotlight or not, digital assets are among the earliest talking points in the 2024 U.S. presidential election, with the most prominent of the new candidates even invoking bitcoins in his campaign opener as eviden…
- 9 hours ago 31 May 23, 8:24pm -
- newTradFi Giant TP ICAP Brings Crypto Spot Trading to Institutional Investors
The Fusion Digital Assets marketplace opened for trading last week offering trading in bitcoin and ether against the U.S. dollar.
- 10 hours ago 31 May 23, 8:05pm -
- newU.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren Calls for Shutdown of Crypto Funding for Fentanyl
U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) cited the rampant use of cryptocurrency in the Chinese fentanyl trade during a Wednesday Senate hearing, arguing for legislation to help break that pipeline.
- 10 hours ago 31 May 23, 8:00pm -
- newEU Formally Signs New Crypto Licensing, Money Laundering Rules Into Law
The MiCA law is set to make the bloc the first major jurisdiction with tailored crypto regulations.
- 10 hours ago 31 May 23, 7:59pm -
- new5 Years After the $500K Ethereum Wager Between Joe Lubin and Jimmy Song, Who Won?
The bet made at Consensus 2018 hinged on how far Ethereum adoption would get by now. Crypto analysts say the blockchain appears to have met a key threshold, or at least got very close.
- 10 hours ago 31 May 23, 7:55pm -
- newNFT Artist Fewocious Reveals Upcoming Collection “Fewos”
The collection consists of 20,000 Fewos, or characters in the Fewocious’ Web3 universe Fewoworld, and will be available to mint in late August.
- 10 hours ago 31 May 23, 7:39pm -
- newFirst Mover Asia: Nearly $275 Million in Ether Burnt This Month as It Continues Deflationary Trend
Also: Bitcoin and volatility have a tricky relationship. BTC steadies below $28K after dip.
- 11 hours ago 31 May 23, 6:59pm -
- newThe PulseChain Sideshow Tent Is Collapsing
Welcome to Bizarro Crypto, where actually launching a project is the worst possible plan.
- 11 hours ago 31 May 23, 6:47pm -
- newUSDC Issuer Circle Has Ditched All U.S. Treasuries From $24B Reserve Fund Amid Debt Ceiling Showdown
- 11 hours ago 31 May 23, 6:40pm -
- newCrypto Bridging Protocol Multichain ‘Unable to Contact’ CEO Zhaojun
Multichain has suffered days of issues amid swirling rumors over the fate of its team.
- 12 hours ago 31 May 23, 5:54pm -
- newA House Bill Would Make It Harder for the SEC to Argue Crypto Tokens Are Securities
The five-page, bipartisan Securities Clarity Act by Representatives Tom Emmer and Darren Soto would significantly reduce uncertainty for both crypto investors and issuers, write Bain Capital Crypto’s Tuongvy Le and Khurram Dara.
- 13 hours ago 31 May 23, 4:58pm -
- newStepStone VC Raises $97M for Two Blockchain Funds
SEC filings show pooled investment figures for the two private equity funds.
- 13 hours ago 31 May 23, 4:51pm -
- newProShares’ Bitcoin Futures ETF Underperforms BTC This Year: K33 Research
The underperformance stems from hidden costs of rolling futures contracts every month as they expire called the “contango bleed,” exacerbated by this year’s rebound in BTC price.
- 13 hours ago 31 May 23, 4:44pm -
- newWashington Ignored Crypto for Now. That’s Good for Bitcoin.
A huge tax on BTC miners didn’t make it into a deal to resolve the battle, and a separate provision might actually (unintentionally) help them.
- 13 hours ago 31 May 23, 4:37pm -
- newSell Crypto Volatility in May, and Go Away?
The recent calm in bitcoin (BTC) and ether (ETH) should not lull market participants into a false sense of security.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 4:00pm -
- newBitcoin Edges Below $28K as Investors Eye U.S. Debt Ceiling Progress
Investors awaited a House vote on the debt ceiling deal, scheduled for Wednesday.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:51pm -
- newFirst Mover Americas: Bitcoin Slumps Back to $27K on Fed Worry
The latest price moves in bitcoin (BTC) and crypto markets in context for May 31, 2023. First Mover is CoinDesk’s daily newsletter that contextualizes the latest actions in the crypto markets.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:50pm -
- newBitcoin Recedes to $27K as Fed's Mester Favors Unabated Tightening
"I don't really see a compelling reason to pause rate hikes," Fed's Mester said, validating the recent hawkish repricing of interest rate expectations in the U.S.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:48pm -
- newFormer Coinbase Employee, U.S. SEC Settle Insider Trading Charges
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission settled charges with a former Coinbase product manager and his brother tied to 2022 allegations of insider trading on certain cryptocurrencies listed by Coinbase, the regulator announced Tuesday.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:46pm -
- newBinance Says 'Reevaluating' Roles After Report of Layoffs
The firm will "focus on talent densite" ahead of the next bull market, a spokersperson told CoinDesk.
- 14 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:33pm -
- newUSDT Issuer Tether Ventures Into Payment Processing With Georgia Investment
The stablecoin issuer announced earlier this week it is investing in a sustainable bitcoin mining facility in Uruguay.
- 15 hours ago 31 May 23, 3:00pm -
- newEU’s Banking Regulator Highlights AML Risks in Privacy Coins, Self-Hosted Wallets
The European Banking Authority wants to extend money laundering guidance to crypto firms and banks that trade with them
- 15 hours ago 31 May 23, 2:18pm -
- newSotheby's Second 3AC NFT Auction Includes Landmark Dmitri Cherniak Work
"The Goose" by the generative artist was purchased by 3AC co-founders Su Zhu and Kyle Davies in August 2021 for about $5.8 million.
- 16 hours ago 31 May 23, 2:02pm -
- newVenture Capital Firm Tribe Capital Targets $100M for Latest Crypto Fund: Sources
Tribe plans to make early-stage investments of $500,000-$3 million in layer 1 and 2 ecosystems, DeFi projects and infrastructure plays to bring real-world assets on chain.
- 16 hours ago 31 May 23, 1:34pm -
- newCrypto Traders Need to Pay Attention to Chinese Yuan
The Chinese yuan has declined by 2.7% against the U.S. dollar this month, while bitcoin has dropped by 7.3%.
- 16 hours ago 31 May 23, 1:29pm -
- newPayPal Ventures Leads $52M Round for Crypto Firm Magic
The startup offers non-custodial wallet infrastructure for an enterprise client list that includes Macy’s and Mattel.
- 16 hours ago 31 May 23, 1:26pm -
- newCrypto Infrastructure Firm Anoma Foundation Raises $25M
The Swiss non-profit oversees the Anoma blockchain architecture and the layer 1 blockchain Namada.
- 17 hours ago 31 May 23, 1:00pm -
- newTeam Behind Offshore Yuan, Hong Kong Dollar Stablecoins Detained by Chinese Police: Report
Earlier this year KuCoin closed a $10 million funding round into CNHC.
- 18 hours ago 31 May 23, 11:50am -
- newFind Satoshi Labs Rolls Out AI Tool That Turns Selfies Into NFTs
The parent company behind Web3 game STEPN is releasing GNT V3, which will allow users to turn their selfies into digital artworks on the Solana blockchain.
- 19 hours ago 31 May 23, 11:00am -
- U.S. CFTC Warns About Clearing Derivatives Tied to Digital Assets
The derivatives agency said that clearing organizations it oversees have moved into the crypto space and it issued a reminder that they need to actively address the risks.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 9:14pm -
- Bitcoin Trades at a 20% Discount on Binance Australia Following Banking Issues in the Country
The exchange halted Australian dollar bank transfers early May.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 8:52pm -
- Texas Bill That Would Limit Miners' Participation in Cost-Saving Grid Programs Stopped in House Committee
The legislation would have capped the industry's participation in demand response programs.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 8:01pm -
- Web3 Payments Firm Transak Raises $20M
The startup offers on- and off-ramps that could make it easier for new users to interact with Web3 projects.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 7:15pm -
- CoinDesk Turns 10: 2021 – The Year Bitcoin Became Salvadoran
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 7:05pm -
- Should Russia Bolster or Ban Bitcoin?
The country reportedly backed out of plans to build a "national crypto exchange," its latest sign of indecision.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 6:45pm -
- Crypto Exchange Bybit Exits Canada Citing Recent Regulatory Development
Bybit has announced that it will be exiting the Canadian market starting as soon as May 31 due to recent regulatory developments in the country, adding to several other exchanges that pulled out from the country.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 6:01pm -
- BRC-721E Token Standard Converts Ethereum NFTs to Bitcoin NFTs
The new token standard allows traders to burn their ERC-721 NFTs and transfer them to Ordinals on the Bitcoin network.
- 1 day ago 30 May 23, 5:44pm -
- Mercedes Benz Web3 Arm To Release NFT Collection With Digital Art Community Fingerprints DAO
Titled “Maschine,” the generative art collection was created by Dutch artist Harm van den Dorpel and draws inspiration from automotive concepts.
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 5:20pm -
- Nansen Slashes 30% of Headcount in Bid to Cut Costs
The company said it has multiple years of runway ahead, despite the need to now reduce expenses.
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 4:55pm -
- Stablecoin Issuer Tether Invests in Sustainable Bitcoin Mining in Uruguay
Tether announced this month to invest a part of its net realized profits in BTC purchases and infrastructure.
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 3:57pm -
- FTX Examiner Appointment Referred to Court of Appeals by District Judge
The U.S. government is pushing to have an independent inquiry into the crypto exchange despite concerns over cost
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 3:33pm -
- The Plight of Hyped-Blockchain Canto Demonstrates Dreary DeFi Outlook
Layer 1 blockchain Canto has experienced a 35% slump in total value locked (TVL) over the past month as liquidity continues to dry up across the decentralized finance (DeFi) sector.
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 2:51pm -
- Bitcoin Mining Difficulty’s Record Setting Streak Shows No Signs of Stopping
The difficulty of mining bitcoin is poised to set a new all-time high this week as miners continue to deploy new mining machines to cash in on recent spike in revenue.
- 2 days ago 30 May 23, 1:21pm -