- Americans (Seemingly) Aren't Allowed to Put This Economic Theory to the Test
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 7:19pm -
- AI Should Be Decentralized, but How?
The case for greater transparency and verifiability in AI. But is decentralization the best way to achieve that and is feasible in practice? Jesus Rodriquez says the technical challenges are tremendous.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 6:37pm -
- CFTC Denies Kalshi’s Plan to Let Users Bet on Control of U.S. Congress
Regulators said the plans weren't in the public interest, after a court squabble involving rival service PredictIt
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 5:50pm -
- A $27M Crypto Loss Reveals a Toxic Mix of Money-Hungry Traders and DAO Idealists
It wasn't only the $90,000 spent on naming rights for a rare Ecuadorian frog species that turned off members of this decentralized blockchain-powered community project; some savvy arbitrageurs just wanted their share of the project's treasury.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 5:01pm -
- Google Cloud Pushes Deeper Into Blockchain Data, Adding 11 Networks Including Polygon
Google’s cloud-computing business has stored historical data on Bitcoin since 2018, claiming the service provides faster access than can be obtained directly from the blockchain.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 4:42pm -
- Ethereum’s Shanghai Upgrade Has Been ‘Disappointing,’ JPMorgan Says
Daily transactions, daily active addresses and total value locked on the blockchain have all fallen since the upgrade, the report said.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 4:08pm -
- Judge Blocks Sam Bankman-Fried's Proposed Witnesses From Testifying
Judge Lewis Kaplan, who's overseeing Sam Bankman-Fried's trial, granted the U.S. Department of Justice's motion to block all of the FTX founder's proposed witnesses from testifying at his trial next month.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 4:04pm -
- Binance, U.S. Affiliate, Changpeng 'CZ' Zhao File to Dismiss SEC Lawsuit
Binance, Binance.US and Changpeng Zhao filed to dismiss a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) lawsuit Thursday, claiming the regulator hadn't "plausibly alleged" various securities-related violations.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 4:01pm -
- FTX Sues Former Employees of Hong Kong Affiliate, Seeks $157 Million
The bankrupt crypto exchange has sued former employees of Salameda, a Hong Kong-incorporated affiliate, to recover about $157.3 million.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 4:00pm -
- Sam Bankman-Fried Sort of Had a Rough Day
Yesterday was arguably not a great day for Sam Bankman-Fried. First, the judge overseeing his case rejected all seven of his proposed expert witnesses*, questioning at least one’s qualifications and saying some others really wouldn’t be relevant…
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 3:42pm -
- NFT Platform ImmutableX's IMX Token Surges 35% With Upbit Leading Volume Growth
The IMX-Korean won pair listed on South Korea's leading exchange Upbit accounted for nearly 20% of the 24-hour global trading volume.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 3:33pm -
- Web3 Adventure Game Big Time Poised to Kickoff Its ‘Player-Owned Economy’
During the last year of beta testing, the crypto and NFT-focused game’s community has grown to over 350,000 people on Discord and over a quarter million on X (formerly Twitter).
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 3:28pm -
- European Crypto Asset Manager CoinShares to Enter U.S. Hedge Fund Fray
CEO Jean-Marie Mognetti described the move as "a natural progression", given the "changing macro environment prominently marked by interest rates and inflation."
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 12:21pm -
- First Mover Americas: Bitcoin Vapid; Toncoin Leads Weekly Gains
The latest price moves in bitcoin (BTC) and crypto markets in context for Sept. 22, 2023. First Mover is CoinDesk’s daily newsletter that contextualizes the latest actions in the crypto markets.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 12:13pm -
- Dogecoin Beats Bitcoin in Price Stability Amid Crypto Trading Lull
DOGE's new-found stability reflects a lack of investor interest in trading alternative cryptocurrencies.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 11:40am -
- Shiba Inu Developers Floated a Dummy Token and Now Activist Traders Are Making It a Real Thing
A token meant for testing purposes wasn’t intended to be traded, yet some traders have pounced on the supposed opportunity.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 9:57am -
- Binance Warns of Multiple Stablecoin Delistings as Lawyers Puzzle Over EU's MiCA
The EU’s landmark Markets in Crypto Assets law, MiCA, takes effect next year, but it’s not clear how it will apply to foreign or decentralized issuers
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 8:10am -
- Bankrupt Bitcoin Miner Core Scientific to Buy 27K Bitmain Servers for $77M
Bitcoin miner Core Scientific (CORZQ) has agreed to exchange $23.1 million in cash and $53.9 million in common stock for 27,000 Bitmain S19J XP 151 TH bitcoin mining servers, according to a press release.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 7:42am -
- Japanese Exchange GMO to Offer XRP Users Yen for Delayed Songbird Airdrop
The handouts are part of a token airdrop whose snapshot took place in 2020.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 7:13am -
- Sam Bankman-Fried Will Remain in Jail Through the Start of His Trial
An appeals court rejected his attorneys’ attempt to free him in the run-up to the trial.
- 3 days ago 21 Sep 23, 11:45pm -
- Vote if You Want, but Remember 'Cypherpunks Write Code'
- 3 days ago 21 Sep 23, 10:20pm -
- ‘You Can Do Nothing’: Crypto Trading Titans Are Yelling at Each Other on Elon Musk’s X
“I never thought that you could be THAT scared of us,” DWF’s Andrei Grachev posted on X. Wintermute’s Evgeny Gaevoy: “We are trembling in your presence.”
- 3 days ago 21 Sep 23, 9:58pm -
- Polygon Emerges as Suitor for Celo’s New Layer-2 Blockchain, Competing With OP Stack
Celo, which is ditching its standalone blockchain in favor of a new "layer-2" network atop Ethereum, had originally signaled plans to rely on Optimism's OP Stack, a similar customizable kit to Polygon's but using Optimism’s “optimistic” technol…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 9:37pm -
- Bitcoin Slides to $26.5K Amid Surging U.S. Dollar; Record-High Rates Are ‘Nightmare’ for Crypto Firms
BTC slid to $26,500 as interest rates and the U.S. dollar surged while equities declined.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 9:01pm -
- NFTs Aren’t Dead Just Yet (But the MSM Might Be)
The success of a recent post from Rolling Stone calling NFTs worthless struck a nerve. But the reality is more complicated and more hopeful.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 7:38pm -
- Ex-Senator Who Once Shepherded Crypto Legislation Sees No Path in Current Congress
Former U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, who tried and failed to push his own crypto legislation through Congress before leaving at the start of the year, can’t see how the current Senate will have any better luck, despite recent progress in the House of Repre…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 6:31pm -
- Is Crypto-AI Really a Match Made in Heaven?
There’s lots of talk these days about how blockchains can make AI safe for human consumption. But is the idea, widely touted in the crypto community, workable in practice? Jeff Wilser takes a critical look.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 4:11pm -
- Infamously Hacked Crypto Exchange Mt. Gox Delays Repayment Deadline by a Year
The defunct crypto exchange has delayed the deadline for repayments to Oct. 31, 2024.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 4:11pm -
- Here’s How FTX Founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s Trial May Play Out
FTX founder and onetime CEO Sam Bankman-Fried will stand trial in just under two weeks to defend himself against allegations he deliberately committed fraud and conspired to defraud crypto investors and customers in FTX and Alameda Research. CoinDesk…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 3:56pm -
- Top 3 Crypto Myths Tackled for Advisors
Christopher Jensen from Franklin Templeton tackles myths about crypto in the Crypto for Advisors newsletter.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 3:45pm -
- Stablecoin Issuer Tether Ventures Into AI With Northern Data in $427M Nvidia Chip Splurge
Damoon, a Tether subsidiary in which Northern Group acquired a stake earlier this year, has purchased $427 million of Nvidia chips for generative AI cloud computing.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 3:09pm -
- NEAR Foundation’s Marieke Flament Steps Down as CEO
General Counsel Chris Donovan will assume her role at the organization behind the NEAR protocol.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 2:56pm -
- Bitcoin’s 87% Drop in 2021 Was Caused by Sam Bankman-Fried's Alameda, Ex-Employee Claims
An ex-Alameda employee claims a trader at the firm punched in a wrong decimal which led to bitcoin's 87% drop on Binance.US in 2021.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 2:08pm -
- Bank of Japan a Major Source of Uncertainty, Crypto Volatility Trader Says
Once the BOJ begins policy normalisation, yen carry trades may unwind quickly, leading to increased cross-asset volatility.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 12:27pm -
- First Mover Americas: NFT Platform ImmutableX's IMX Token Rallies
The latest price moves in bitcoin (BTC) and crypto markets in context for Sept. 21, 2023. First Mover is CoinDesk’s daily newsletter that contextualizes the latest actions in the crypto markets.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 12:02pm -
- BNB, XRP Lead Slide in Crypto Majors as Mt. Gox's Repayment Delay Fails to Bouy Bitcoin Prices
“We still believe that the chances of further declines are higher for now,” one analyst said.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 11:43am -
- Optimism Foundation Sells $157M OP Tokens, Citing 'Treasury Management'
The foundation behind layer 2 blockchain Optimism has sold 116 million OP tokens ($157 million) to seven separate purchasers, according to an announcement on the Optimism governance website.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 11:36am -
- Galaxy Digital Eyes European Expansion With New Regional CEO
Mike Novogratz's firm has appointed Leon Marshall, its existing global head of sales, as its first European CEO.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 11:36am -
- Bitcoin Bulls Missing in Action After Mt. Gox Delays BTC Repayments
Rumors of Mt. Gox mulling a delay have been doing the rounds and likely catalyzed the recent bitcoin price bounce.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 9:03am -
- DraftKings' Billionaire-Backed Crypto Analytics Firm CoinScan Raises $6.3M
The company is backed by Shalom Meckenzie, the largest individual shareholder in sports betting company DraftKings.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 7:23am -