- newHot Dogs?
It's that time of year again. Whether you believe in Global Warming or not, summer is the hottest time of the year and this one is shaping up to be a warm one. When it hits 90° F in Alaska, you know it's going to be a miserable summer.I know, I know…
- 24 hours ago 18 Jul 19, 9:02pm -
- Prudent Prepping: A LITTLE Shaking Going On
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. Just as I was wrapping up my day yesterday afternoon we had an earthquake, followed by a second one 15 minutes later. Where I work…
- 2 days ago 17 Jul 19, 10:14pm -
- Gross Weight
I upgraded my truck very recently. In my world, trucks are for hauling and towing, and the new truck expands my ability to do just that. How much hauling you can do is determined by your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, or GVWR, while your towing limits…
- 3 days ago 17 Jul 19, 2:59am -
- The Ultimate EOTWAWKI Prepper Vehicle
Rule #1? Cardio, and it looks like I could use some more of it.
- 4 days ago 15 Jul 19, 9:17pm -
- Guest Post: Reviewing the Aibocn Power Bank
by David BockA while back, Erin suggested I purchase an Aibocn 10,000mAh Power Bank. Unfortunately it arrived after I left for NRAAM this year, so I didn't get to test it then. However, I have had several chances to use it since.PackagingThe Power B…
- 7 days ago 13 Jul 19, 3:32am -
- More LED Lights
While looking through Amazon for the HybridLight that I reviewed last week, I noticed a variety of tiny LED lights that plug into the ubiquitous USB port. Since I have a spare USB port on my car charger, several portable battery packs for charging my…
- 8 days ago 11 Jul 19, 11:20pm -
- Prudent Prepping: The Big One, part the Latest
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.There has been quite a bit of shaking this last week in Southern California, and I believe it's past time to do a recap of basic pr…
- 9 days ago 10 Jul 19, 8:26pm -
- Knife Basics: The Cutting Edge
- 10 days ago 9 Jul 19, 5:56pm -
- Just a Little Getaway
Not all escape methods are big and in plain view.
- 11 days ago 8 Jul 19, 10:04pm -
- Hybridlight Journey
One of my sources for inspiration for articles (what we like to call “blogfodder”) is a weekly newsletter called The Woodpile Report. The host of this newsletter goes by the name of Remus and, like me, is a man of varied interests. The topics te…
- 13 days ago 7 Jul 19, 4:58am -
- Prudent Prepping:Plan C?
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. I know that most of us have a Plan A and then a Plan B, but how many of us have a Plan C?Plan The NextA family member is now on…
- 16 days ago 4 Jul 19, 12:40am -
- Get A Grip: Knife Handle Basics
A truism of knives is that a knife without a sharp edge is no knife at all, and as true as that is, a knife without a place to hold it is equally useless. With that in mind, there are a whole lot of options regarding knife handles and reasons for cho…
- 17 days ago 3 Jul 19, 3:31am -
- Planning IS Prepping-Raspberries!!
Carpe diem can be prudent prepping.
- 18 days ago 1 Jul 19, 10:53pm -
- Prudent Prepping: To Save, Or Not to Save
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. My phone 'bricked' over the weekend. I went to start it up and it never turned on. Suspiciously, I had the new phone page from my…
- 23 days ago 27 Jun 19, 3:22am -
- Knife Basics 101: Terminology
- 24 days ago 25 Jun 19, 11:51pm -
- Buying?-No Selling Tips for Social Media
Tips for selling those wares..to buy more wares??
- 25 days ago 25 Jun 19, 7:01am -
- Pilot Bread
When I bought the canned bread for last week's article, I also picked up a package of pilot bread and some light rye crisp bread for comparison. Both are shelf-stable breads that have been around for a long time; the brands I picked were both founded…
- 29 days ago 21 Jun 19, 1:39am -
- Prudent Prepping: Prepping Pays Off
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.I always try to live what I write: prepared to take care of myself and others, if and when necessary. I had my chance to show it la…
- 30 days ago 19 Jun 19, 5:59pm -
- Oooh, That Smell
A good friend contacted me the other day. She said her sink drain had a terrible stink, and asked if there was anything I could do to help. I told her it was a problem I'd heard of before, and I had a few tricks up my sleeve that I would be happy to…
- 31 days ago 18 Jun 19, 5:32pm -
- Best Ways to Prep Cheaply: Logistics
If you don't know what you have, how will you be able to find it when you need it?
- 32 days ago 17 Jun 19, 8:43pm -
- Canned Bread
A long time ago, in a land not so far away, I was introduced to shelf-stable bread. The US Army had developed a method of baking bread inside a foil/plastic pouch called retort cooking that rendered the bread shelf-stable with a life measured in ye…
- 36 days ago 14 Jun 19, 3:12am -
- Prudent Prepping: Summer Has Arrived
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.If the saying goes 'Spring has sprung', then this year I'd have to say that Summer crashed the party. It's been over 95° for the l…
- 37 days ago 12 Jun 19, 8:44pm -
- 9V and Steel Wool Fire, Utah Style
Recently there's been a fair bit of discussion about starting a fire with a 9 volt battery and steel wool. This is my method. It's quick, it's reliable, and it gets hot.Some notes before I cut to the video.The battery still showed 9 volts on a multim…
- 38 days ago 11 Jun 19, 6:50pm -
- C’mon Baby, Light My 9V Fire?
Lighting a fire with steel wool and a 9 volt battery, take two.
- 39 days ago 10 Jun 19, 4:56pm -
- Through a Lens, Clearly
Not actually Erin.Picture by KJ Photography& is used with permission.According to the Vision Council of America, approximately 75% of adults use some sort of vision correction. If you're one of those people (and statistically you probably are), you n…
- 42 days ago 7 Jun 19, 10:18pm -