- newA prepper phone?
I’ve had the same cell phone for 5 years, a Samsung Galaxy S4, and it has served me well. It’s a bit outdated now; Android has released 3 new versions of the operating system that my old phone can’t run due to hardware constraints, and it recen…
- 4 hours ago 25 Apr 19, 8:26pm -
- Prudent Prepping: April Buffet Post
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. Here is my (almost) End of the Month Post! A wrap-up of the move, organizing and several small topics.The NeighborhoodTh…
- 1 day ago 24 Apr 19, 10:22pm -
- 5.11 L1 Flashlight review
- 2 days ago 24 Apr 19, 1:08am -
- Product Review: 5.11 EDC PL 2AAA Penlight
I have a new penlight. It's the size of a sharpie, requires 2 AAA batteries, and produces 107 lumens.You can buy it on Amazon for $24.99.
- 3 days ago 22 Apr 19, 6:16pm -
- Food After the Flood
I live in farm country, so I hear a lot about the effects of the floods on the soil — farmers rely on their ground for their income, so it’s a common (and very complicated) subject of discussion. Once the dikes and levees have been repaired and t…
- 6 days ago 19 Apr 19, 7:11pm -
- Prudent Prepping: Settling In
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.My settling in is pretty much finished, but the unpacking and final positioning? Not so much. I've had a chance to walk around a li…
- 7 days ago 19 Apr 19, 3:56am -
- Field Expedient Grommet Repair
Grommets are key to securing tarps and fabric goods, but sometimes they fail and need to be repaired. Here's a quick and easy way to do just that.Lokidude
- 9 days ago 16 Apr 19, 10:39pm -
- Crate Club #3: The End??
My three-month test of Crate Club comes to an end. Do I stay subscribed, or do I cancel?Watch and find out!
- 10 days ago 15 Apr 19, 5:22pm -
- Flooding, Part 2
We’re still experiencing flooding here, but the first surge is done. I stayed dry, my house is above the flood plain, and so far, the place where I work has been spared. We got lucky where a lot of friends and family didn’t; the rapid spring tha…
- 14 days ago 11 Apr 19, 10:03pm -
- Prudent Prepping: Sharing the Good News
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.I’m still going through boxes and I’m not settled in yet, but there appears to be some light at the end of the moving tunnel. M…
- 15 days ago 10 Apr 19, 10:13pm -
- Electrolytes: They're What You Crave!
I’m not normally the food guy around here; what I am, however, is a construction worker who spends 40 hours a week sweating. Sweat pulls needed nutrients from the body, and those need to be replaced in order to keep you running in top form.Commerc…
- 16 days ago 10 Apr 19, 1:29am -
- Exo Gear BW20 Sportbuds Review
Ear buds -- they're more than just headphones!
- 17 days ago 8 Apr 19, 5:50pm -
- Magnesium Citrate: the Prime Mover
Not actually Erin.Picture by KJ Photography& is used with permission.If you've used opioids at all (or if you've seen the movie Trainspotting), you know that they cause terrible constipation.How terrible? A few years back my mother had neck surgery a…
- 20 days ago 5 Apr 19, 10:02pm -
- Cell Phone Security Camera
A few weeks ago, during the serious rainfall that triggered our local flooding, my cell phone got soaked. That's one of the hazards of working outdoors a lot, and I've been lucky for a long time; I've had this poor phone for over four years and have…
- 21 days ago 4 Apr 19, 3:15pm -
- Prudent Prepping: Reflect, Review and Prepare
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.It’s time for me to clean up and check my equipment as I move, and in the middle of the mess I hear a report that a dam in northe…
- 22 days ago 3 Apr 19, 8:40pm -
- Are "Budget" Tools a False Economy?
Humans are tool-using animals; it's kind of our superpower, and what keeps us at the top of the food chain. Sadly, as tools become more important and more complex, they also become more and more expensive. Couple this with needing an increasingly lar…
- 23 days ago 2 Apr 19, 11:46pm -
- Gerber Flat Iron Review
The Gerber Flat Iron knife is $34 from Amazon with Prime shipping.
- 24 days ago 1 Apr 19, 7:09pm -
- A Few Thoughts
Not actually Erin.Picture by KJ Photography& is used with permission.My mother had knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago, and so I've been helping take care of her and also doing a lot of her chores around the house while she recovers. Therefore, this…
- 27 days ago 30 Mar 19, 3:09am -
Last week I posted a bunch of information about where to find road condition information in various states. Several of the websites had “511” in the name, and one of my friends asked why that particular number was used, so I thought I would expla…
- 28 days ago 29 Mar 19, 12:14am -
- Prudent Prepping: Smith's Diamond Precision
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. I’m still not in my own place, and it might not happen until after the first weekend of April, but my sister hasn’t complaine…
- 29 days ago 27 Mar 19, 11:53pm -
- The Bug Out... House?
We’ve talked quite a bit in the past about bug out bags, bug out plans, and even bug out vehicles. Today, though, I want to offer up the notion of a bug out house.Don't worry, I’m not seriously going to try and convince you that you can somehow m…
- 30 days ago 26 Mar 19, 10:21pm -
- Crate Club Box #2
My second Crate Club Box arrived. What's inside?
- 31 days ago 25 Mar 19, 8:11pm -
- The RATS Tourniquet Debacle
Not actually Erin.Picture by KJ Photography& is used with permission.I am a tourniquet elitist, and that's because I vehemently believe that a first aid device which can mean the difference between my life and my death ought to be reliable. As far as…
- 32 days ago 24 Mar 19, 9:46pm -
- Floods and Roads
Last week was a mess. The rapid rise in temperatures coupled with abundant snow, three inches of rain, and still-frozen ground led to widespread flash flooding over most of the upper Midwest. Iowa and Nebraska got hit hard and fast, with rivers and s…
- 35 days ago 21 Mar 19, 9:43pm -
- Prudent Prepping: Intermission
The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.I mentioned in last week's post that it was my first post-move article. This is my second post-move blog entry, but it isn't the fi…
- 36 days ago 21 Mar 19, 3:15am -